On Friday, September 28, the President signed a FY2019 “minibus” appropriations package that includes critical increased investments for early learning. The budget deal is bipartisan in nature, and Child360 is thrilled that both sides of the aisle agree that investing in our children in their most critical years is the smartest and most noble investment we can make as a country.
Congress approved the funding package in a 361-61 House vote.
The final FY2019 funding numbers include:
- $5.3 billion for Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) — an increase of $50 million from FY2018
- $10.1 billion for Early Head Start / Head Start — an increase of $200 million from FY2018
- $250 million for Preschool Development Grants — Level with FY2018
- $50 million for Child Care Means Parents in School — Level with FY2018
- $391.12 million for IDEA Part B Preschool Grants — an increase of $10 million from FY2018
- $470 million for IDEA Part C Grants for Infants and Families — Level with FY2018
“We applaud these investments and thank the President and Congress for prioritizing the care and education of our future leaders,” said William Sperling, CEO of Child360. “The funding increases in this bill are a notable stepping stone in the advancement of, and access to, quality early education programs for young children. We believe the increased investments will help narrow the opportunity gap for all children regardless of their socioeconomic background or developmental disability.”
Studies have proven that critical moments of brain development occur from birth. When we provide young children with high quality early learning experiences, they reap significant academic, social, and emotional outcomes that will last well into their futures. Research also validates that every $1 invested in early learning yields a nearly $13 return to society. That’s because children who enter kindergarten with a quality early learning foundation, have higher levels of academic success and better life outcomes in health, social behaviors and employment.
Child360 is committed to working alongside educators, families, partner organizations, policy makers and our communities to expand the vital early learning opportunities our young children deserve.